Sunday, January 24, 2016

What happens when I have the day off

 A quick overview of an average day off for me:

  1. I sit in a chair all day reading, watching Netflix and alternately munching snacks/feeling unhealthy.
  2. I get fed up with sitting around and think about going outside.
  3. I realize it’s freakishly cold outside, but then counter that thought with, “Hey, the sun’s still out, so it can’t be that bad!” (I am wrong.)
  4. Even my lovely jaunt in the frigid Nebraska air leaves me feeling like a blob. And sometimes, that blobby feeling is all the inspiration I need.

 

Stained-Glass Sky

Today I stayed in.

Alone with my desk chair

and a mug of instant cocoa,

plowing purposefully through a novel

purchased mere days ago.

Pausing every now and again

to observe the time

and acknowledge the sun’s

steady migration toward the base of my window.

 

Eventually the story ended

(alas, so it goes)

and with that

my restlessness returned, so,

thinking to catch the sunset,

I shrugged on my overlong peacoat

and traveled across campus,

a modern Victorian Lady

complete with Converse and jeans.

The journey was arduous

as wind mercilessly exploited weaknesses

in my winter armor

but still,

worth it.

 

Alighting on steps that overlook parking lot

and sorority house

I intercepted my prize,

its last rays peeking through

a net of iron-forged trees

that framed it perfectly,

like a delicate work of lace

against the dying blue sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A fearful world needs courageous people

We live in a moment of fear. Fear is inherent in our culture; we breathe it in as we walk outside. We speak it into our relationships. We co...