Monday, January 18, 2016

On Travel

 I’ve never been able to sleep in automobiles. No matter how exhausted I am, I can never seem to tune out my surroundings long enough to manage it–and believe me, two weeks on a tour bus with 44 rowdy college choir kids (can you say that five times fast?) can get VERY exhausting. But alas, my wired brain hates me. So during basically the entire trip, as scores of my colleagues slumbered peacefully, I was looking out windows, taking embarrassing pictures of snoring friends, and trying to keep my creative process alive by writing, drawing, anything. Because if you’re gonna be fully awake for roughly fourteen days of bus rides, some good should come out of the torture.

I wrote the following poem as we cruised westward through the (highly interesting) Nebraska plains. Between the mental exhaustion, the bumpy road and the nosy friend I had sitting next to me, it was kind of an ordeal, but here it is. My first poem of 2016.

 

Drifter


Outside this humming capsule

of reclining seats

and recycled air

the world unfurls in our wake,

pavement skimming its way back to the place

we left in such a hurry.

Beyond barnacle-encrusted windows

the land crawls

and folds over itself,

a vista of gray on brown.

A fresh dusting of snow

drifts, caught between

hills that roll like shallow waves.

Though stationary,

the scene grants them a hint,

a glimmer of life

as the sun’s rays hang

refracted, reflected,

suspended in the air like a million tiny flecks of salt spray

and these once-frozen mounds of earth

become wind-stirred eddies

passing through a drifter’s nets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A fearful world needs courageous people

We live in a moment of fear. Fear is inherent in our culture; we breathe it in as we walk outside. We speak it into our relationships. We co...