Friday, May 13, 2016

Here's to moving on

 For the past nine months, I have occupied a basement room in a four-story residence hall on my college campus, and it’s been like living in a dank cave.

A dank cave whose walls soak in and regurgitate the smell of your neighbor’s spice-heavy vegan food.

I wish I could tell you that it’s been cave-like in a super mysterious and magical way. That I found a portal to Narnia by pressing a certain cinder block with two fingers of my left hand. That I’m actually a superhero with an underground lair.

I wish I could tell you that I got through this year without having to defend myself against the spawn of Shelob in the middle of the night (although, I suppose fighting demon spiders would count as “mysterious and magical”). But that dream was not to be.

When I wave this place goodbye tomorrow, I will have no regrets about wonders I’m leaving behind.

 

Cave-dweller

My cave has none of the usual charm.

Where gleaming stalactites might hang, ever reaching,

my cave boasts, instead, blinding fluorescent bulbs

that leave no corner unexplored.

No shred of battered sunlight struggles to meet my eye

through volcanic fissures ascending to unknown heights.

Rather, ergonomic strips of rotating plastic

are its filter.

My cave holds no grotto, no

untouched cavern with raw gemstones glittering,

no long-kept secrets of shadow and flame.

No dwarf worth his salt

would deign to glance twice at

my cave, with its lack of gold veins ready for piercing,

or columns of granite on which to carve

the grim, stony faces of his forefathers.

He would move on to distant lands,

where mountains’ steep cliffs rival skyscrapers-

palace walls for a subterranean king.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A fearful world needs courageous people

We live in a moment of fear. Fear is inherent in our culture; we breathe it in as we walk outside. We speak it into our relationships. We co...