Thursday, April 22, 2021

Conflicting ideologies: Individualism vs. Collectivism

Listen. I love freedom. 

I love liberty. I love America and its hard-working values, and it gives me no pause to call myself a patriot.


Lately I've been feeling frustrated with those who seem to hate what I love about America, especially my fellow Christians. But God has been moving me toward a place of more understanding, where I can see the faults that exist in my own thinking, the dangers that lurk in being too black-and-white. 

I am naturally inclined more toward individualism than collectivism. I love living in a society when individuals are held accountable, where anyone can overcome their circumstances if they take hold of their lives with discipline and determination. But I recognize that this tendency in me can lead me down the wrong path if I let it, and there are valuable aspects of collectivism as well.

I believe that the good Christian will be able to see the nuance in this and let himself move closer to the middle ground. When looking at Jesus' example, it's beautiful how he approaches each person with respect and gives everyone dignity. It's inspiring that Jesus chooses not to view humanity based on their common faults, but loves and knows each of us completely and uniquely. And Jesus' compassion for the least of these, his commandment of dying to self and reconciling to our fellow man, should be of equal value to us. Our individual experience and our natural connectedness with other people need to exist in this tense middle ground if we are to be more like Jesus. 

Unchecked individualism breeds egotism and legalism. If I focus only on my individual experiences, needs, and desires, I will become the center of my own universe. I will become callous toward the suffering and the needs of others. I won't care how my actions affect other people, and I will validate my perspective at the expense of others. If I refuse to see how someone's circumstances impact their actions and choices, thinking only of their individual agency, I will have no compassion for those trapped in vicious cycles. I will be reluctant to forgive and quick to condemn.

Un-moderated collectivism breeds cynicism and moral relativism. If I validate everyone else's experience to the point that I see all perspectives as relatively true, and begin to assimilate all experiences into myself, I will become lost in a sea of contradictions. I won't be able to find a firm truth to stand on. If I harbor generalizations about groups of people, I will become quick to judge based on appearances, and ready to ascribe negative qualities to individuals that make up those groups, without even knowing them. When I don't see the trees for the forest, I will place more value on the good of the many at the expense of the outliers and the most vulnerable. I will align myself with corrupt systems, if it seems that by doing so I can achieve the common good.

Jesus cares for his flock, but he also cares for the individual sheep that make up that flock. When one sheep goes astray, what does Jesus do? He leaves the flock to seek out the one that is lost. If Jesus followed collectivism to the letter, he wouldn't be concerned about the one lost sheep out of 100. He would look at the remainder of his flock and say, 99%? That's pretty alright.

Conversely, Jesus shepherds the flock as a whole and desires for us to have unity within it. If he spent no time gathering his flock in the first place, there would be no community for his sheep. There would be no safety and security, no comfort in companionship and mutual encouragement. If Jesus was a die-hard individualist, he would leave the one sheep to wander alone, thinking hey, that sheep made its choice. 

The good in collectivism considers the impact of one's actions and recognizes the shared experiences of all human beings. The good in collectivism is able to connect the seemingly unconnected and have compassion on those whose lives are different from one's own. The good in collectivism desires unity and peace, knowing that in Christ our differences can work together for His glory. 

The good in individualism encourages self-examination and self-control. The good in individualism gives agency to all people, and approaches each unique person with hope, without prejudice or bitterness. The good in individualism detaches itself from worldly systems and seeks God's solutions. The good in individualism gives people the benefit of the doubt and forgives easily, knowing that each of us is an individual created and loved by God. 

Our lives as Christians need to incorporate all of these good things, joyfully embodying this tension--the tension between self and others, between rationality and compassion. That tension is where God lives, binding everything together in His paradoxical love and justice. 

I will always prize my freedom, which is why I'm so happy to live here in America, where so many people have dedicated their lives to protecting the individual rights and dignity of each person. Anything other than this would, I believe, be wrong. In a society where every individual is seen as just that, we have more practical freedom to do good for others, more freedom, even, to choose to express the good qualities of collectivism--and that is something I will never vote to give up. 

And yet, if I am to be more like Christ, I must be willing to see outside myself and value His cause above my own. Though liberty is a beautiful gift, the gift of eternal life is more beautiful. Though my freedom to carve out my own path is a miraculous opportunity, the God-given ability to deny myself for the sake of others is more miraculous. Though peace with my fellow man is sweet, nothing is sweeter than the otherworldly truth God speaks to me. 

And when it comes to it, I must choose to die for this truth, literally and figuratively. For without this truth there would be nothing good to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A fearful world needs courageous people

We live in a moment of fear. Fear is inherent in our culture; we breathe it in as we walk outside. We speak it into our relationships. We co...