Monday, May 11, 2020

This is only temporary

Right now I’m feeling at a loss for words.

Not in an awestruck way. More like a my-mind-is-a-jumble-of-things kind of way. A little lost, a little lonely. A little unsure and anxious about a lot of things.

What is life going to look like in the fall? Will my students be able to return to school?

Or are we still going to be stuck in this limbo, waiting in an abandoned airport like the zombie hero “R” from Warm Bodies (a great film and a great book, by the way)?

When will people I love feel it’s safe for them to go outside again? When will we stop being afraid to look at each other in the grocery store?

What will have changed about us all when we find ourselves thrown back into “normal” life?

Why do so many people have to feel so afraid?

Why is it so hard to find any sense of balance in our daily lives?

Why is there so much anger, so much self-righteousness, so much doubt, so much ignorance in the world? So much ugliness?

These are questions I think a lot of us are asking right now. And right now I don’t know what to say, except that I hope these things will be made clear to us in time.

When I say I hope, I don’t mean I wish. I mean I’m earnestly anticipating.

Anticipating the day we won’t have to be confused anymore, the day this broken world is healed, the day we are reconciled to each other. The day I see my Savior’s face and know, finally, that everything is going to be okay.

I don’t know when that day will come. I don’t know a lot of things. But I think it’s okay not to know, to be a little uncertain, a little uncomfortable. It’s okay for us not to have the answers. It’s not our job.

So, though I am unsure about today, still I am hopeful for tomorrow. Though these times have the appearance of evil, still I know the Holy One I can trust.

And His words are true: we will not be overtaken by this passing shadow.

“We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.” -2 Corinthians 4:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment

A fearful world needs courageous people

We live in a moment of fear. Fear is inherent in our culture; we breathe it in as we walk outside. We speak it into our relationships. We co...