Friday, July 28, 2017

I really hate needles...

 … but unpleasant experiences do make for interesting poetry.

 

Blood Draws Don’t Leave Scars

I keep a tally of blood draws

at the back of my mind.

Two times (too often) I’ve sat in that chair,

vinyl coating too thick

to let me sink in, so tall it was suffocating.

I always closed my eyes

tight, like squeezing the air out of them

would distract me from

the slowly suctioning sting.

It would take all of my focus

not to bend my elbow,

not to even think about it,

counting breaths like nauseated sheep.

 

Most days I try not to remember

but in the dark it’s harder to blink away

and I fall asleep counting blood draws

instead of sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A fearful world needs courageous people

We live in a moment of fear. Fear is inherent in our culture; we breathe it in as we walk outside. We speak it into our relationships. We co...