Friday, April 1, 2016

Where my heart lives

 I could literally go on for hours about the North Shore and why no human being could conceivably want to live (or die) anywhere else, but to save you time and sanity, I wrote a poem instead.

You’re welcome.

 

Grand Marais

It’s hard to feel like a tourist

in this tourist town.

This quirky jumble of souvenir shops

and theme restaurants

(and one grocery store)

couldn’t be less unfamiliar;

a cool breath of lake air

gives tired buildings life

and I feel

I may as well have lived here forever.

Learning to skim stones

smoothed by countless revolutions of the earth,

wearing my own trails through the woods;

shortcuts to my favorite trees.

Everyone here knows my name,

and whether I take sugar in my coffee,

and how much.

I know their names too,

just as I recall exactly which beach-stranded rocks

are best for seagull

and star gazing.

Just as I know exactly where to look for the sun

as it sinks below ever-rolling waves,

catching one last strand of light

between the branches of distant evergreens.

 

I find my heart on a shore

littered with colored pebbles

as numberless

and named

as the stars in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A fearful world needs courageous people

We live in a moment of fear. Fear is inherent in our culture; we breathe it in as we walk outside. We speak it into our relationships. We co...